Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Loving the Unlovable

Okay, so we all agree that although our kids are beyond lovable most of the time sometimes they are not so lovable. For example, every time I change my daughters diaper she throws a fit because she does not like to be slowed down. She will yell, kick, and scream. If she is being extra feisty she will kick me really hard and very forcefully try to turn around to get out of having her diaper changed. Anyone who has ever parented a toddler in diapers I’m sure can relate. I have tried many different strategies and nothing has seemed to work.

Well, I was reading a quote that said something about kids needing to be loved the most when they are being unlovable. If ever I am going to run out of patience with her, it is going to be when she is throwing one of her diaper changing fits. So, I repeated that quote in my head like a mantra. When I changed her diaper she threw a fit, tried to turn around, and kicked me the whole time. I repeated the mantra and tried to remember that I needed to love her throughout that. When I was done changing her I told her I loved her and she stood up and gave me a hug. Of course my heart melted.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 2:10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment